Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Snow day lesson

We had a snow day yesterday, which was a nice surprise. I am really ready for spring, but the unexpected day off was nice. 
I had today scheduled off, but my sub had sick kids so I went in.  I was able to get most things packed and Easter baskets done yesterday. Laundry is mostly up to date. 
Mostly because it grows exponentially every day :)

I had the dilemma of bored kids yesterday too.  Hearing "I am bored" is something I dislike.  We have so much for them to do, and if they don't want to play I can put them to work :) 

Finally after hearing my youngest utter the dreaded words, I sat down at a game he chose. 
Scrabble
He is 10 and wanted to play me and his 14 year old brother. 
I knew it wouldn't end well and suggested many other games.  Nope, this is what he wanted to play. 
He stopped playing after 3 turns because he got sent to his room for throwing tiles in anger.  Fun stuff right there.
My 14 year old and I finished the game and had fun too.  (I really don't like the game personally, it's their Dads favorite.) He beat me, of course.
We packed together, watched a movie together(while I finished taxes-boo), and ate leftover chili for lunch.
He just wants to be "together" still.  I have to remind myself that he is only 10 and we were doing everything together when the others were 10 because we had to!
He was lamenting at dinner and I agreed to take him sledding at a nearby hill.  No one else wanted to go.  It is the whole, "I'm tired of winter thing" and my 14 year old son didn't want to get out of his pajamas.
Did I mention I'm tired of winter and I really have never liked playing in the snow, not even as a kid.

It was just he and I sledding.  There were a few other people there on the hill, but not many.
I went down the hill 5 or 6 times, and a few times the 2 of us went down together.
I realized what I don't like about sledding.

It isn't the cold, getting wet, or fast speed. 

It is the impending doom I feel when I am hurling toward a tree and the edge of the creek.

My boy loves it though, he sees how close he can get to them. He must get it from his dad :)

On the way home he said "Thanks mom for taking me, I know you don't like it.  That was so much fun though, did you see how fast we got going?"

It was all worth it. We were only gone an hour and it meant so much to him.

I said "No, thank you for taking me sledding, I had so much fun with you "
I need to remember this more often.

 This is what you think of when a mom and son sled.
 These are what it felt like sledding!
(Not actually our photos.  I was afraid I would break the camera on the way down.)

2 comments:

Courtney DeFeo at Lil Light O' Mine said...

this is awesome! so proud of you and i know it's a memory you'll be retelling for years.

Jennifer said...

love!! you are making great memories! thanks for linking up!