Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Becoming a more missional family

Our church is doing a 6 week series on family.  Last weekend was on "Being a Missional Family". 
I have been thinking of ways to be more "missional".
Here are 10 ways I thought of.

1. Make cards and visit nursing homes.  Just talking to the residents makes their day, they love to see kids and especially love to hear them sing and play any kind of music.

2. Bake or cook for a hurting friend.  Sometimes I just don't know what to say, but I can cook.  Who doesn't appreciate a hot meal and a heartfelt  "I care"?

3.  Intentionally participate in coat drives and food drives.  I say intentionally, because I have been known to run through the house grabbing old coats or food on the last minute of said drives.  Get the kids involved.

4. Take care of the Earth.  Pick up trash, plant a garden, recycle.

5.  Be prayerful of others. Don't just say it, do it.  Let your kids hear you, and participate. Be mindful of others needs.  Pray for the homeless to find a warm place to sleep etc.  Pray for your sponsored kids, make sure your kids know them by name.

6. Secretly adopt a family.  We do this at Christmas, but wouldn't it be fun all year?  If you know of someone in need, send them a grocery or gas gift card, or a card for a restaurant. Sometimes doing things like taking the trash cans down for an elderly couple can make a huge difference.  Do this anonymously, it will be quite fun.  Even dropping off clothes that you know will fit their kids is helpful.  Being secret about it, helps their shame, and or embarrassment and takes the focus off of you.
7. Volunteer at a local food bank or shelter.  You don't have to go on an oversees mission trip to see poverty.  It's  in our backyard.  Expose yourself and kids to it.  It is much more "real" and pressing when seen in person and not just on TV.  Seeing that these people are just like us is life changing for some.

8.Write thank you's to those who serve us.  Police, military, teachers, church workers.  The unsung heros.  Everyone loves a handwritten note, and attaching a kids drawing will make their day.  Send a long a plate of cookies, fruit, candy etc.  They will be forever grateful.

9. Ready to go packs for the homeless.  Have a large ziploc, or a paper sack filled with things like: a water bottle, gum, granola bars, McD gift certificates, raisins etc.  Have it ready for when you see someone standing on the side of the street. 

10. Send packages to soldiers, and missionaries.  Make sure you get a good address for them and that there are no restrictions.  Ask what they want if you can.  I remember asking missionaries what they missed that we could send them.   Many answered peanut butter, or their favorite candy, hot chocolate mixes etc.

These are simple things we will be implementing into our lives.  Thinking of others before yourself.

5 comments:

Joanna said...

I'm here via Works for Me Wednesday, when I saw on the list "Becoming a more missional family" I was interested because we just talked about that at church... and now I see we go to the *same* church!

Thanks for the post, and I hope to run into you guys!

Unknown said...

so funny. we go to Saturday nigt 6pm service

Joanna said...

We're Sojourn folks- we used to go Saturday night, until they made Sojourn only Sunday morning. Still getting used to it.

Let'sMakeADifference said...

Great ideas! Thanks for sharing!!

Carla said...

Great post! Thanks so much for sharing!