Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Book reviews

I read 3 books while gone. Boy was it relaxing! I am so boring, reading on the balcony of the ship is my ideal! I did get some sun too. I am sure my Vitamin D level is good!

1. My Sisters Keeper by Jodi Picoult
Very good book, and will be a great movie. My only complaint was the use of the "F" word multiple times. It was not needed and could have been replaced with another word with the same effect. I know I am a prude(this was evidenced multiple times on the trip!) but come on! Amy's teacher recommended the book to her and she read it for a report in school. I can't keep up with all of her books and read them before her. This really frustrates me.

2. The Boy in the Striped Pajamas
Great book, very sad. I am also looking forward to this movie. It is the Holocaust in the perspective of a nine year old boy. Quick read.

3. The Last Lecture by Randy Pausch
Great book and I want to see the video of the actual lecture. Good ideas for living, but not anything spiritual. I could have been seen crying on the plane ride home.

4. Dear Mom by Melody Carlson
Not finished yet, but over half way. This is a book on raising teen daughters written like a teen wrote it. She took lots of letters she has received and put them in a helpful book form. Amy looked at it and approved me reading it. Amy loves Melody Carlson's teen fiction series'. Great perspective, I have already learned a lot.

2 comments:

Ben Miller said...

Hello there, its your long lost nephew Benjamin! I had no idea you guys had a blog, thats great! I havent seen you guys in centuries so it'll give me a chance to catch up. I miss you guys.

Unknown said...

it is great to hear from you as well.... How is Purdue??

Tell everyone we said hi!!!!

"uncle" joe