Thursday, September 13, 2012

Recipe- Stuffed Peppers

Ok, so please know that I strongly dislike (we try not to say hate too often around here) green peppers.  Any peppers, really.

A friend gave me a bag of green peppers from her garden and I thought I would give stuffed peppers a shot.  I looked through a bunch of recipe sites and couldn't find what I was looking for.  They were either too fancy, too unhealthy, or just gross sounding.  So.... I made up a recipe, for something I didn't think I would like.

I cooked them in the crock pot too!  When I got home from work, I thought eww the house stinks like peppers!  Once I tasted them, I changed my mind about the poor, defenseless green pepper.  These are so good.  2 out of 4 of the kids liked them.  Ann is my harshest critic, and Andrew thought they looked  "disgusting".  He will try one after football practice though.

I used ingredients I had around the house.  I used leftover spaghetti sauce from our meal last night too.  Regular tomato sauce would work too I guess.

Tia's Stuffed Peppers

Filling:
 2 cups brown/wild rice
1 pound browned turkey sausage
1/4 cup Parmesan cheese
1 tsp pepper
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp oregano
1/2 onion diced small and browned  in olive oil (kids can't see them)(you could add peppers too, remember I don't like them though :)
2-3 cups spaghetti sauce (depending how saucy you want it)
Mix all together.

Cut the tops off and deseed the peppers.  Fill with the filling and sprinkle with some cheese( I used Mexican cheese, because that is what was in my fridge)

Bake in crock pot on low for 3-4 hours.  I turned it on "keep warm" until we could eat them.


1 comment:

Unknown said...

Andrew changed his tune after eating them! Whoo hoo 3 out 4 kids!