I worked today, instead of yesterday. Kids were out of school for MLK day yesterday.
We saw some really sick people today. One struck me especially. She has cancer and had a stem cell transplant a few months ago. Her look was strikingly similar to my late sister-in-law Jane's in her last months. Very sick, very frail. Shaking, pale, bald and weak.
I talk a lot to my patients. Partly because I try to put them at ease and decrease white coat syndrome. And partly because I like to talk a lot :). As I was talking to her in depth about her condition and recent treatment. She said something that shook me.
I was telling her that Jane had told me that going through her stem cell transplant was like "walking through the valley of the shadow of death". She agreed, and said "I am so glad I also have the Peace that passes all understanding."
Brought me to tears.
Peace. It is a thing of beauty.
1 comment:
Tia,
I can totally relate. Just today I had a patient who only has 6 radiation tx's left and she was at her limit and ready to give up. She was worn out. We talked, shed tears, and hugged. She is going to finish her tx! She can do it. Her hope is in the right place! My cancer pts. are a blessing to me! I love what I do....it's not a job...I am a sister in Christ helping them through a tough time....and it is an awesome journey!!!
Maria :)
Post a Comment