Sunday, October 18, 2009

10 weeks until Christmas!

I always start my shopping early.  This year is no different, I have a lot bought already.  I still have a lot to do though. 

Our kids each receive 3 gifts from us on Christmas Day.  This is to symbolize the 3 gifts Jesus received, but also to set a limit.  We don't set dollar amount limits.  Some years one will get a big gift and other years another will get one.  Honestly, some of their favorite gifts aren't ones that cost the most. 

A craft box filled with crafting supplies was a big hit for Ann one year and Andrew asked for it the next year.
Amy always likes a big box of books.
Aaron can be hard to buy for.  There are only so many jerseys he can wear! 
Annie asked for a chapstick of her own one year.

We do stockings too.  We put little gifts and candy, gum, (chapstick) etc. in them.  They each get a new pair of pajamas on christmas eve, with slippers sometimes too.

Not having cable or being able to watch TV during the week, helps too.  No commercials definitely helps the "I wants"

I love Christmas and I love buying gifts.  Joe seldom buys too many, but he always knows what they are getting.  Family Christmas's are a different story.  I give him the low down on the way to the gathering.

Our goal is to make Christmas about Christ and not about the gifts.  The World makes it hard, but we fight it all the way.
I will share some of our favorite traditions in the coming weeks.

No comments: