Wednesday, December 31, 2008

New verse, new comments

As I have thought about this verse throughout my christian lifetime it has carried different significance. Isnt that the wonder of the Word of God? We can read a verse, then reread it and have different thoughts illuminated by the Holy Spirit within us.

WOW. If you like mysteries......then that is right up your alley.

Now for the next verse;

Philippians 3:14 "I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus."

The word PRESS used to mean something specific for me for much of my lifetime. Of course it is basketball related. A "press" is used by the defense to dictate the tempo of the game or to create turnovers which can lead to easy baskets. There is no "resting while pressing".... that was a phrase I used a lot as a coach. *SMILE* . Hopefully you can see the easy transition to our christian walk...

however... I have been led down different significant paths as I read this verse lately....

Goal.... win.... prize... all these definitely speak to me as former athlete and now as "poser" athlete! Yet.... still not .... quite.......fully..... now.......here it is......

.....HEAVENWARD in christ jesus....I am sorry to say I have missed this significance for much of my lifetime....

As I continue to learn how PRIDE and self worship prevents me from loving my savior intimately;

He teaches me that He has called me HEAVENWARD. Not to fix my eyes on these troubling times and treacherous waves (alas Peter). Not to fix my eyes on these temporary prizes and comforts. And certainly not to look elsewhere for answers for my needs for He is my Creator and He knows exactly what I need.

He teaches me that these years in this rented body (temple) which houses a soul that was bought with a heavy price.... are truly short.

and He loves me enough to keep saying, "Joe I am your Father and I know you need me and I know you are scared and I know you dont understand but you must trust me...I am preparing a place for you which is more than you can imagine..."

Oh Father, please continue to put your hand under my chin..... lift up my face so that my eyes may look heavenward.

Do you all feel his fingers under your chin??? I do and it is the best feeling in the world.

Heavenward...

looking up,
joe

2 comments:

Missy said...

The bennett family..I am an avid follower of McMama's blog and baby stellen and saw your blog on her sidebar!
Joe and Tia, the kids are so beautiful..i was just telling my husband, Seth, how I used to baby-sit when they were just toddling around! Now I have a peanut that will be toddling around soon! Oh where has the time gone! So happy to get an update on your lovely family! Keep in touch! My email address is misray25@yahoo.com.
Hope you enjoyed the holidays!
Missy (Gephart) Ray :)

Unknown said...

what a wonderful surprise!!!

Tia is going to email you but it was good to hear from you.

How is Nate?

Joe